Happy Halloween! What better day to change your diet than on a day where eating sugar loaded candy is encouraged?
Losing weight and eating clean isn’t rocket science. Its quite simple really, expend more calories than you consume and eat whole, real, non processed foods. However, for those just embarking on this healthy journey, these concepts might not be so simple.
In the case of beginners I recommend that you focus on smaller goals and making healthier food choices. I have put together a guide on how to make the transition from unhealthy to healthy.
Please keep in mind that you don’t need to make all these changes at once. It is always better to start slow and gain some momentum. Try picking one of the tips from below and make it a monthly goal.
1. If you are a regular at fast food chains like Wendy’s, Mcdonald’s or Burger King try reducing your trip from everyday to 1x per week.
2. Replace all or most of your sugary drinks like soda and juices, with water or zero calorie drinks.
3. Start incorporating 2 small snacks per day. This can be an apple with a laughing cow cheese wedge, some carrots or a handful of almonds. Just make sure its small and consists of whole real foods. Chips do not count as a healthy snack!
4. One of the problems in America is that we supersize everything. Our bodies can only digest so much food at a time, our bodies will store the excess as fat. Instead of 3 large meals, try eating 5 small meals spread out evenly throughout the day. The goal is to eat every 3-4 hours. This will help speed up your metabolism making you into a walking, calorie burning machine.
5. Stick to the correct portion sizes for the main food groups, protein, carbs, fats and vegetables. You don’t need measuring cups, use your hands as a guide.
Protein= Size of your palm
Carbs= Size of a clenched fist
Veggies= Size of 2 cupped hands
Fat=Size of the tip of your thumb
6. Eliminate or cut back on refined sugars such as white flour, sugar, white bread, cookies and cakes. Instead replace them with whole wheat/grain and natural sweeteners like stevia.
Which of these 6 tips will you pick as a goal this month?
Disclaimer: I am not a certified trainer or nutritionist. Please check with your doctor prior to starting any diet or exercise plan. The information provided is what I have learned via personal research.